Around 2008 I used frequent the local Salvation Army Family store. It used to be a nice place to keep your eye open for stuff, but it was always a hit or miss thing. But on my first visit I stumbled across some KLH 17’s. I wasn’t to familiar with them, but thought I’d check out Audiokarma.org first to get an idea if they are worth grabbing. Much to my surprise people had good things to say about them so I headed back and grabbed them. Only cost me 14 bucks for the pair.
They didn’t look all that special, but everything looked original and intact.
If you click on the images above you’ll see the high resolution versions. In those you can see the minor scuffs on the wood, and a few minor nicks. Also the grill cloth is not the orignals, and we’re missing the KLH badges. Good news, the drivers worked, and they are the originals.
Over a couple of weeks, I gathered the materials I would need for this job.
- Grill Cloth – purchased a natural cotton cloth from Hobby Lobby
- Capacitors – Used standard Dayton crossover caps from Partsexpress.com
- qty 4 – 2uf Non Polarized 250v caps, use two caps per speaker
- qty 2 – 8uf Non Polarized 250v caps, uses one cap per speaker
- Clear Latex Caulking
- Tung Oil – High Gloss Tung Oil
I spent roughly 20 to 25 bucks on materials to do this job.
First thing I did was to begin work on the cabinets.
- Sanded the finish very lightly with 300 grit sandpaper to remove rough areas. Being very careful not to sand down through the wood veneer.
- Applied 2 to 3 coats of Tung Oil on the wood. Do very then light coats, and let it dry between coats. I just used a paper towel to apply the finish, but what ever you use will need to not fall apart otherwise fibers from the cloth, or rag you use will be on the finish.
- Next step was to pull the old grill cloths off, these weren’t the originals and they weren’t put on very good.
- Laid out the new cloth and cut about an inch and half of extra around the wood grill frame.
- Used a hot glue gun to attach the cloth to the back of the grill. aligned the cloth so that the grain of the cloth matches on both speakers.
- Replaced the 3 capacitors in each speaker with new ones. One original capacitor has two leads coming out one end. This particular cap is basically two capacitors with one side of the two caps wired together. So thus you order 2, 2uf caps and wire one end of both to the same terminal.
- Redoped the surround cloth of the woofers with Latex Caulking. I watered this clear caulking to the consistency of white school glue. Applied it in two separate applications 12 hours apart on the woofer surround cloth material. This helps reseal the woofer like it was originally. Helps improve Bass response and a better controlled motor action of the woofer.
- Reassembled everything and tested
Final results now look like this.